A therapeutic sports massage differs from traditional techniques as it often incorporates a deeper pressure in addition to active patient movements. A focussed sports massage is able to help restore mobility to injured joints & tissues, yet also functions to prevent future injury.
Different sport massage techniques provide patients with a varying array of health benefits:
- Pumping, which leads to increased lymphatic drainage.
- Increased tissue permeability, allowing tissues to properly exchange waste products for valuable nutrients and oxygen.
- Increased range of motion, by way of influencing the length tension relationship of the body's soft tissues
- Decreased fibrotyic tissue, commonly known as scar tissue
- Improved tissue elasticity, further aiding range of motion
Research demonstrates that a sports massage will provide patients with both physiological & psychological benefits:
- Pain reduction & relaxation
- Anxiety reduction & increased awareness